Friday, April 3, 2009

Post 9: Friday!

Well, I just got out of World Cultures... a class I'm doing very horribly in by the way. I hope I pass it. It's gonna kill my GPA for sure. Today we watched a movie called rabbit proof fence. It's a true story about these girls that were taken away from their mom because they were "halfbreeds". They escaped the place they were taken and they had people tracking them all over the place and were almost caught many many times. It's a true story and they walked hundreds and hundreds of miles to get back. One of the girls got caught when she was bribed by a guy who told them to go to the train station and get a ride there. She was so tired so she wanted to go there, but she was taken. I saw this movie from a different view than most would. I saw God working in their lives and providing the exact means of escaping. When the one girl did not follow the two sisters, it was like a picture of her falling into temptation. It's the kind of temptation that Satan tempts us with. He makes something look so appealing and so much easier, but it is just a trap or a snare. Rather we need to stay the course and focus on God and He will work all things together for good.

Now this movie wasn't really Christian in any way, in fact, it was quite the opposite. The place they were taken, the people there actually wanted to "train" them to be more white like. They had nuns and a church where they forced the children to go and recite prayers. The "Christian" type things were just the opposite of what Christianity is all about, so it sort of bothered me, but to see God's protection on these girls, it was amazing because it's a true story. I so wish others could see the movie through these eyes.

Moving onto the rest of the day. There are many many different things I could do tonight and I really don't know which one to pick. One group of friends is watching Fiddler on the Roof which I've never seen, another group is watching Bolt somewhere at some point, and a third group is sharing the gospel around downtown Houghton or somewhere else maybe and we call that Commandos after something we did at Big Break that was similar. Along with those three things, there is a Youth Service we're planning at my church and all night long there is a standathon. There are so many things to do and so many choices to make. I'll have to read my Bible and pray a bit to see where God leads me. Right now, I'm probably going to go do Commandos and share the gospel, because that is probably the most important because I think our youth service at my church is going to go just fine without me.

I also could use some sleep. Last night for Shenanigans (our social/outreach event after every TNT (our Thursday Night Thing (our large group meeting for Campus Crusade (the best organization ever)))), we walked downtown just to walk and talk as a group. It was really fun to just hang out while walking and some went to cyberia and the rest of us walked to Hardees. After eating at Hardees, we walked down by Chutes and Ladders which is a park along the canal. Most of us kept walking but me and a few others climbed around on the equipment. It's actually illegal because the park is closed after dark, but we were doing no harm and the police didn't come by, so it worked out ok. After that, we jogged almost all the way to the bridge to catch up with the rest of the group that kept walking and we ended up walking back to HTC and hanging out there. I left a little early (early being at like 1 AM) to go home because I had to drive and not fall asleep at the wheel as well as the fact that I needed to drive back to campus made staying any longer undesirable.

Well, I was just called by Eric VanDrie and we're gonna head into the Commercial side of Houghton and do some gathering of materials (a.k.a. shopping), so I gotta get going. This post is probably gettin' pretty long anyways. Have a Great day!

P.S. In a blog of a friend of mine, she put at the end to read Psalm 18. It's a really cool Psalm that she challenged her readers to read and I did and I'm really glad I did, so you should read it too! God's amazing.

2 comments:

  1. READ PSALM 18! :)

    I love hearing and seeing things in a new perspective...that's totally God at work and applying it to our lives. I also wish people would see events like you described as God's protection, and not just coincidence or fate.

    Also, remember that you are 100% successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chutes and Ladders? What an awesome name for a park! I loved that game as a kid! Psalm 18 IS an awesome chapter! I love reading the psalms because a lot of them are just praising God or calling out to him in times of trouble...its like a book of prayers and conversations with the Father :)

    ReplyDelete